Natural Remedies for Gout
I learned many useful natural remedies for gout from my uncle George that you don't easily find on the internet.
My uncle has gout. He is almost proud of it - when he has no gout attacks. He is kind of famous :) because no one else has gout in his village.
He taught me lots of useful natural gout remedies like the ones below.
1. Infusion of celery against arthritis
If you have swollen joints, this infusion will calm your pain.
Pour 1 cup cold water over 20 g / 0.7 oz crushed celery, boil it, let it steep for a little and strain. Sweeten it with honey. Drink 2 cups each day.
WARNING: Do not use if you are suffering from nephritis.
2. Because Green Tea it is an effective oxidant and stimulates diuresis, it is very good in gout treatment. It protects the diseased joints, where urate crystals cause excruciating pain.
To treat the disease and ease spasms, doctors recommend drinking about a 1 liter of tea per day.
3. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale). Because dandelion is diuretic in nature, it will help to eliminate excess uric acid through the urine.
Make an infusion or decoction (using only roots) of 1-2 teaspoons to one cup (200 ml) of boiling water. Let it steep for 1-2 minutes and strain.
For decoction, boil for 10 minutes, let it steep for 10 minutes and strain. Drink 2-3 cups of tea per day.
Dandelion infusion cure will take a long time. For faster effects it is recommended dandelion powder from leaves and dry root. Take a spoon full of powder, twice daily for 30 days. This will eliminate uric acid from body tissues.
4. Juniper (Juniperus communis) (berries) is an antiseptic and a diuretic that promotes a healthy urine flow and urinary tracts. Excess water and toxins are expelled from the body when juniper berry is taken. Even more important to gout treatment is the fact that juniper berries help to prevent uric acid crystallization and aids in the expulsion of sediment.
Make a decoction from 10-20 g / 0.35 - 0.7 oz berries in 1 liter of water. Boil for 15 minutes. Filter and drink 2-3 cups a day.
Juniper tincture is a recognized remedy for gout. Pour 1 teaspoon of tincture in a glass of water and drink with small sips 3 times daily. Take this cure for 2 weeks, then take a break for 1 week.
5. Mix crushed dried Peppermint leaves with water to obtain a paste. Apply the paste to the affected joint and cover with an ice cold cloth. This poultice will relieve pain and will reduce significantly the inflammation.
6. Make an infusion from 2 teaspoons of Birch
(Betula alba) leaves in 1 cup of boiling water. Let it cool up to 40 ° C and add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate. After 6 hours strain and divide the preparation in 2 portions. Drink one portion at 4 hours interval.
It favors elimination of uric acid and cholesterol in the body.
Birch juice cure: 3 tablespoons daily for 4 weeks stimulates the whole body metabolism and thus improves joint mobility.
Birch bark infusion contain salicylate, the compound found in aspirin. Salicylate relieves the inflammation and pain associated with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and generalized muscle pain.
7. Prepare a macerate from 2 teaspoons of Cranberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) leaves in 100 ml cold water. Leave it for 15 minutes and strain. Pour 100 ml boiling water over the remaining leaves, then boil for15 minutes. Let it steep for 10 minutes, then mix both liquids and drink during the day.
8. Infusion from 1 teaspoon Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) flowers in 1 cup of boiling water. Let it steep from 3-5 minutes and strain. Decoction with 1 teaspoon of berries in 1 cup of cold water. Boil for 20 minutes and strain. Drink 2-3 cups per day.
9. Infusion from 1 tablespoon of Couch Grass (Agropyron repens) rhizomes powder in 200 ml boiling water. Let it steep from 10 minutes, strain and drink 2-3 cups a day.
10. Infusion from 1 teaspoon of Nettle (Urtica dioica) leaves in 1 cup boiling water. Let it steep for 5 minutes and strain. Drink 2-3 cups daily.
11. Massage the affected joins with St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) oil several times a day.
12. A very good remedy for gout is Black currant (Ribes nigrum) leaves tea. Infuse 5 green leaves in a cup of boiling water.
Black currant tea is not recommended for those with gastritis and hyperacidity ulcers. Those with sensitive stomach can drink black currant juice.
Scald the berries and mash them through a sieve. Add sugar and water. You will obtain a highly nutritious and very tasty nectar.
From 1 liter of berries scalded in 1 liter of water you can obtain about 3 liters of juice. In the summer you may take this cure for about 2 weeks. Juice should be drunk with pleasure. If you feel saturated, stop the cure.
13. Rheumatism and gout pain will disappear with Cowslip (Primula officinalis / Primula veris) tea, especially when the weather is rainy. It is indicated a cure of cowslip tea every spring, but only with fresh plants.
14. Tincture of Black Poplar (Populus nigra) buds. 30 drops 3 times daily will help in case of acute gout crisis.
15. Since the Middle Ages Callistephus flowers and leaves are used in many diseases such as gout or arthritis.
Pour 1 cup boiling water over 2 teaspoons Callistephus flowers and leaves. Let it steep for 10 minutes. Filter and sweeten with honey. Drink 2 cups each day.
Always REMEMBER to check with your physician for permission to use any herbal remedies. They may have contraindications for your condition.
Go Back from Natural Remedies for Gout to Common Ailments
Go Back from Natural Remedies for Gout to Home Page